1. Breathing: slow, mindful breathing helps to force the body out of panic and into a calmer state.
2. Grounding: focusing your attention on external things will help reduce anxiety. Ex; counting specific objects, or reading magazine, books, newspaper (avoid subjects that may trigger you).
3. Thought Stopping: recite a soothing saying or prayer of your choice.
4. Avoid Over-stimulation : reduce external stimulation particularly close to bedtime to help assist the relaxation and sleep process.
5. Journaling: this can provide a simple way to connect to your feelings and gain clarity in your thoughts about specific problems.
6. Containment: remember that feelings are temporary and will pass. This can reduce the time you experience the negative emotion and decrease thoughts of hopelessness.
7. Resentment Box: write down your frustrations and resentments and get rid of them. You can place them in a box, bury them, or burn them. This is a ritualistic way to give over your problems to your higher power or to the universe.